Pages

September 7, 2012

beauty in simplicity

Here I am, sitting at in my apartment. Crazy how quickly time goes.

More than a month ago I came back from Uganda. I am so glad that I went there for the summer. It wasn't always easy or fun, but I really did enjoy it. God is so good. The things I learned there I gained only from my experience there. One thing that has been a main theme throughout my summer was finding beauty in simplicity. In Africa, things are so much simpler there. Not much technology, food is cooked over the fire, little electricity and no running water. People go to bed shortly after the sun goes down. As different as it was, I found it to be beautiful in how simple the way of living is there. 

Coming back home, it was difficult adjusting back to what was "normal." I had grown used to life in Africa, even as varying as it was. I couldn't take a warm shower without thinking of how much easier things are in North America. And yet I knew the differences in the simple, routine things of the day would quickly be forgotten. I suppose that is part of how one gets used to change and adjusting to a new location.

Starting school this week at King's University brought a lot of change. I'm really glad I'm here, but again, being in a new location brings differences in living. Living with 3 other roommates, taking classes with other new students, and living in Edmonton, Alberta. It's different, but good. I'm excited for what this year will bring, friendships that will form, and ways that I can be involved in school. I'm hoping to be on a worship team that plays for Chapel services, as well as join a small group bible study. I feel really eager to get involved, meet people and have this feel like my new home. Sometimes I just have to remind myself that God is with me, wherever I go. I just love that :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea of living simply! I'm glad you're settling in alright!

    ReplyDelete